Research has shown that the majority of girls prefer playing in female only teams, and the earlier a girl starts playing football the more likely they are to have a long-term relationship with the sport.
The SSE Wildcats Centre concept was introduced in 2017 to address the findings that only 3% of all mini-soccer teams cater exclusively for girls and as such only 41% of girls (compared to 95% of boys) under the age of 10 regularly play football.
What is a SSE Wildcats Football Centre?
The aim is simple: Have fun, make friends, play football!
An SSE Wildcats Football Centre is an opportunity for girls aged 5-11 years old to have fun, develop fundamental skills, try a variety of sessions and lay the foundations for a lifelong love of sport. The sessions are delivered on a weekly basis, either afterschool or at weekends.
By working in partnership with Sheffield & Hallamshire County FA, qualified coaches deliver sessions locally to provide girls the opportunity to experience football for the first time in a fun and safe environment.
Thinking of applying for a SSE Wildcats Football Centre?
If you are interested in delivering a Wildcats Centre at your club or organisation, here is what you need to know first:
- In the first instance contact S&HCFA to discuss your ideas and receive a link to apply online
- SSE Wildcats Centres must run for a minimum of 16 weeks during the Spring/Summer of 2018
- SSE Wildcats Centres must also demonstrate how they plan on attracting a minimum of 30 girls each week, and how the activity will be sustained post funding
- All organisations will receive a £900 start-up grant and 30 Nike footballs
- All SSE Wildcats Centres must complete registers at each session and upload online
- All organisations must meet the criteria
Additional information and criteria can be found in the Guidance for Applicants document.
Should you have any questions relating to becoming an SSE Wildcats Football Centre please contact Sarah Wood on 0114 261 5504. The deadline for completed applications is 8th January.