Success for Handsworth Parramore U21s in Junior Cup

Handsworth Parramore Under 21s beat an experienced Sheffield FC Over 35s side 2-0 to lift the Saturday Junior Cup at the Memorial Ground home of...

The photo shows the victorious Handsworth team with captain Brett Watts holding the cup.

Two goals in the second half from Will Eades and Oliver Beaumont sealed Handsworth Parramore Under 21s first piece of silverware of the season.

It was the energy and the pace of a youthful Handsworth Parramore side which prevailed over the holders of the cup.

Sheffield FC Over 35s, however, started the brightest and were unlucky not to take the lead in the first five minutes.  Paul Wood drove a low cross into the box which Liam Cartledge managed to get on the end of, but Joe Taylor in the Handsworth’s goal was able to get a right boot to divert the ball over the cross bar.

It was a feisty and physical affair with both teams making strong challenges, and it was the hunger of James Dawes who nearly got the Ambers in front when he chased down a back pass from Shane Hinshelwood. Dawes was able to get there before the keeper but a heavy touch meant that Sheffield could clear the danger.

The second half started much like the first and there wasn’t a lot to choose from between the two sides. Nevertheless the deadlock was broken when Dawes’ free kick was tipped over by Ross Turner, and from the resulting corner, Will Eades leaping the highest to power a header past the keeper.

The fitness and extra energy from Handsworth proved pivotal as the Sheffield FC Over 35s began to tire and it wasn’t long until the lead was doubled by Oliver Beaumont.

A neat one-two by Lee Hudson and Chris Howard set Howard free down the right side, he drove into the box and pulled the ball back to Oliver Beaumont who calmly stroked home from nine yards.

Two nearly became three when Sheldon McDonald raced behind the Sheffield FC defence, he then cut back onto his right foot but saw his shot comfortably saved by Turner.

Sheffield went in search of a goal to set up a grand stand finish. They came close when Mark Highfield’s dangerous cross was met by Gary Townsend’s sweet volley, but it whistled just over the bar.

Handsworth defended well and were able to hold on to their lead despite Sheffield’s best efforts to get back into the game.

Jack Dawes, the manager of the Handsworth Parramore Under 21s, thought it was an outstanding team display.

He said: “They’ve done exceptionally well, we only need to grab a few more points in our remaining matches to wrap the league up and to what has been a perfect season.”

Sheffield & Hallamshire CFA is grateful to Dave Hampshire and his team at Penistone Church FC for hosting the final.

Finally a well done to the match officials for the evening, Waqar Ahmed (Referee), Assistant Referees Adem Tanriyar and Roger Webb and 4th Official Antony Tierney.