Rep team lose final game of season

Sheffield & Hallamshire CFA Representative Under 18s team started their last game of the current season against Lancashire FA at Staveley Miners...

The game started brightly with Lancashire on the attack and missing early opportunities to open the scoring.

Joe Holyhead in the S&HCFA goal was called upon to make good saves from Bibby, Charnley and then Bibby again all in the first 5 minutes.

As the game developed the home team came more into the game with Jack Varley hitting the Lancashire cross bar and the defence had to scramble the ball away.

Then with 20 minutes on the clock, Kane Spooner shot narrowly wide after a good cross from Jamie Allsop.

The game switched from end to end Lancashire’s Hartley, then Blackley missed chances when in good scoring positions before Bibby brought another diving save from Holyhead.

S&HCFA’s Jardel Mansell-Banton had a goal bound effort pushed round the post by the Lancashire keeper Purdham diving to his left and the half ended Lancashire defence holding firm,  frantically scrambling the ball away after a series of corner kicks.

The half time whistle blew and the teams went in level at 0-0.

S&HCFA began the second half with more urgency with Lancashire keeper Purdham having to save a goal bound effort from Allsop with his legs.

The home team were now creating more chances with first Mansel-Banton and then Declan Howe going close when his effort was deflected onto the Lancashire crossbar for a second time.

However it was Lancashire who eventually got there name on the scoresheet first.

When after 60 minutes Hartley ran onto a through ball by Charnley and slid it under the advancing Holyhead.

Ten minutes later and S&HCFA were level.

A corner from the left by Allsop was headed home by Howe climbing above the Lancashire defence steer his effort past Purdham.

However, the home team’s joy was short lived as two minutes later a free kick by Hartley was deflected into his own goal by Allsop.

S&HCFA continued to press for an equalising goal and in the closing minutes were unlucky not to be awarded a penalty when Howe appeared to be bundled over in the penalty area.  From the resulting corner Sheffield again hit the Lancashire crossbar. 

As the final whistle came with Sheffield still on the attack Lancashire held on to their lead.

Sheffield Manager Jon Gray summed up the season by saying: “It’s a big disappointment to me and the management team that a season which started off so well, finished up fizzling out.


“After winning the first two games, scoring 11 goals without conceding, we were hoping to build on that, but the team seemed to struggle after a long lay off when the weather turned during winter. 


“Even though we never lost by more than the odd goal we never quite managed to get over the line when on tope in games and today summed that up.  Hitting the crossbar three times just goes to show the way the luck for the team went. 


“Despite the players not reaching the heights we’d hoped, I would still like to thank the whole team for their efforts and excellent attitude all season.  They’ve been a real credit to themselves”


Final Score


Sheffield & Hallamshire CFA 1      Lancashire FA 2



Sheffield & Hallamshire CFA

Team Manager, Jon Grey

Ass Manager, Simon Massey

Physio, Richard Hollingsworth



S&HCFA Squad.

Josh Dodd (Capt), Joe Taylor, Jamie Allsop, Haydn  Ward, Joe Holyhead, Josh Littlewood, Munya Mswaka, Kane Spooner, Danny Barnsley, Jack Varley, Jardel Mansell-Banton, Liam Cooper, Danny Bent, Ellis Alpine, Alex Tomlinson, Harry Bamforth, Declan Howe


On Sunday, Sheffield & Hallamshire County FA and particularly those individuals involved with the Rep Team and our referees were saddened by the news that Ken Burkinshaw, Chairman of the Representative Match Committee sadly passed away. Everyone’s thoughts are with Ken family and friends.